Clinically vulnerable people are those who are/have:
- aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
- under 70 with an underlying health condition
- pregnant women
- a lung condition that is not severe (such as asthma, COPD, emphysema or bronchitis)
- heart disease (such as heart failure)
- chronic kidney disease
- liver disease (such as hepatitis)
- a condition affecting the brain or nerves (such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy)
- a condition that means they have a high risk of getting infections
- taking medicine that can affect the immune system (such as high doses of steroids)
- very obese (a BMI of 40 or above)
Clinically extremely vulnerable
Clinically extremely vulnerable people have been advised to shield at home. Disease severity, history or treatment levels will also affect who is in the group. This group may include the following people:
- Solid organ transplant recipients
- People with specific cancers:
- People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy.
- People with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy.
- People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment.
- People having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer.
- People having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors.
- People who have had a marrow or stem cell transplant in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs.
- People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- People with rare diseases that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
- People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase the risk of infection (inc high doses of steroids)
- Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired